Monday, April 20, 2009

I have no recollection but I remember this

...I was just re-reading this blog post from last week and have you already guessed that I have absolutely NO idea what it was that Adam did that irritated me? So that day, when I wrote that blog post and I asked the question, "Was it worth it?" in regards to raising a silly issue when there are so many things to be grateful for, my answer to my own question ran along the lines of, "I don't want it to be worth it because that seems shallow, but I was irritated and focused on making myself feel better so I'll say that it might be worth it."

Well friends, I've changed my mind. I've had the AHA! moment Oprah is always urging us to look for. The answer to that question is pretty much, "No." It wasn't worth it. If I can't even remember what it was (and I have a steel trap of a memory when it comes to details) a week later then it was Clearly.Not.Worth.It.

But now the task becomes how to make that decision, in the moment? How do you know in that moment that next week, you won't care? Well, the truth is, I think I did know, I just chose to ignore it.

And you know the crappy thing about this lesson (you know, other than the fact that I already learned it and it just ignored it?) is that Adam probably doesn't remember what it was that I was griping at him for either. But I bet if I ask him, he'll remember that I griped. I always say, "At some point you forget the message but are still mad at the messenger" (and yes, that is original material, at least to my knowledge). Yep, I sure do say that. Serving myself well, aren't I? Now, if I only I could remember to listen...

No comments: