Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A few months ago, I had taken Ethan to Starbucks to kill some time before we had to pick Eli up from school. While Ethan sat sipping his chocolate milk and working on homework at a small table in the corner, a woman with a cane and a limp hobbled over to us. One of her eyes had clouded over with a cataract and her speech was a bit broken. She launched into a detailed story about how she needed $18 for a shelter that night and I'm sad to admit that I felt uncomfortable and a bit vulnerable being (literally) cornered by someone. I lied and said that I had no cash on me and couldn't help.

Disappointed, she hobbled away and I immediately felt ashamed. I have always tried to teach Ethan to be helpful and respectful toward others, including those who are homeless, and always offer whatever help I can to someone who appears to need it. I often pack extra snacks in my car in case I come across someone who is hungry. On this particular day, not only did I refuse to help this person when she obviously needed help, but I realized I set a horrible example for Ethan and missed out on a great teaching moment.

I wanted to fix this. I had to fix it. Berating myself for not responding to her request for help, I went outside to try to find her again. She was gone. And so was my opportunity.

I told Ethan how sad I was that I hadn't immediately responded to that woman and explained how disappointed in myself that I was and apologized to him for not offering a better example to him. We cleared our table and went to pick Eli up from school and run to the grocery store to get something for dinner but keept an eye out for the woman as we drove.

We arrived at the store and as soon as we walked in, both boys began to act as though they had never been brought out in public before. Still frustrated from earlier, I lost my patience and furiously led them back out to the car and began to drive out of the parking lot, listening to their pleas for second chances and promises of better behavior. At that point, I realized I had two choices: follow through on my threat to take them home without the ingredients for the meal they requested or go home unprepared to make dinner. Since I already had lost the mother of the year award that afternoon, I realized I had nothing left to lose, so I turned around and parked the car.

As we walked back into the store, I spotted someone familiar sitting on a bench near the door. It was the lady from Starbucks! Understanding that this was my chance to right my wrongs that day, I ran up to her and said, "I have been looking for you!". She looked a little confused and then I explained that I had talked to her at Starbucks and I wanted to help. Her confusion turned into a huge, toothless, happy smile. I gave her what she needed for her shelter stay, plus a little extra for transportation and said, "I'm so glad I found you again!". She looked at me and said, "Girl, so am I. So am I. You are so kind." If only she had seen me five minutes earlier yelling at my kids...

In all seriousness, it was so easy, yet felt so good to help her. I wish it had been my initial instinct the first time she'd asked. As I drove home, I thought about this, but Ethan interrupted my thoughts with a question, "Mommy, how did the lady get to the grocery store? It was a long walk and we didn't see her on the way." It's true. It WAS a long walk and I realized how many things had to happen just the right way in order for me to find her again...If it had taken a few less (or a few more) minutes to get Eli, we might've missed her. If the boys hadn't acted up, we might've missed her. If I hadn't turned the car around, we definitely would've missed her.

Perhaps it wasn't just Ethan who was destined to learn a lesson that day. And perhaps there is something to be said about the power of second chances.





1 comment:

Johanna Norry said...

What a beautiful story Jen -- I love it when the universe lines up everything so beautifully to give us all what we wanted. I even want to think that there was something there for the woman you helped. Perhaps if you had helped her, obviously warily or grudgingly the first time she had asked, she may have felt bad about receiving because she had to ask and because there was no real connection. But when you approached her, with kindness (when was the last time someone told her they were looking for her?), and made a connection with her that was meaningful, she was able to receive what she needed and feel good about it, as if God was taking care of her.

And I'm so glad that someone prompted you to restart your blog -- I always love reading it!