Monday, November 25, 2013

Swimming and Celebrating



I’ve received a bunch of messages and have to apologize for inadvertently keeping everyone who reads my blog in suspense…I think I sometimes forget that there are people following our family’s story! I guess everyone has been wondering how the “bathing suit” party went a couple of weeks ago.

Well, I’m happy to report that it went….uh, swimmingly. (I know, I know…I just couldn’t resist.)

Here’s how it went down:

About a week before the party, I had myself a small pity party. I’ll admit, sometimes I  just wish we could have regular experiences without feeling compelled to anticipate questions, to explain circumstances, to offer answers...sometimes I just want Eli to be able to show up at the party…and sometimes the idea that this isn’t always going to be possible gets me down, makes me feel tired, brings me to tears and fits and sobs.  So I had my pity party. And when it was over, I pulled myself together and sent an email to the mom of the little girl who sweetly included Eli in her birthday. I offered a simple explanation of how we have chosen to raise Eli, advised her that he would be in a bathing suit with a skirt appropriately covering all that should be covered and that he was so excited to celebrate. And then I hit “send”.

And what I received back soothed my soul. I offered a simple explanation and received a simple (and beautiful) response. And off we went to the party. Eli drew no attention. As soon as we walked in, a bunch of kids splashed over to say hello. He jumped in the pool, swam with his friends and had himself a grand old time.  He was just Eli. Just a regular kid who showed up at the party.

One wonderful mom even said to me, “I love Eli’s bathing suit. It’s just so Eli.” Music to my ears. Yes, yes, it is so Eli.


No comments: