Sunday, October 12, 2008

The things he says...

...positively melt my heart!

I was nursing a bad cold last week and Ethan desperately wanted some of my soup. I told him I couldn't share because he'd catch my germs and I didn't want him to get sick. I spent much of the morning in bed, leaving Eli in the Exersaucer and letting Ethan watch horrible shows on TV while eating whatever he picked out for lunch (Apple Jacks out the box. Eek!). Later, when I felt better, I joked to him that he must like it when I'm sick because he gets to do all kinds of things he can't do on a normal day.

He looked at me seriously and said, "No, Mommy. I don't like it all when you are sick. Because then you can't kiss me."

Sigh...

And speaking of sighs, Adam and I shared a wonderful moment last night. After having dinner with some friends, we headed home and both boys fell asleep in the car. I LOVE when they both are sleeping in the backseat. And not neccessarily because of the delicious peace and quiet that envelops the car, but just because they look so darn sweet back there. Heads lolling to one side, tiny snores coming from their noses, chests rising up and down, hands still in their laps. So unbelievably sweet and peaceful.

When Adam and I pulled into the garage, we each opened up one of the backseat doors and instead of immediately carting them off to bed, we just stared at them. I whispered to Adam with tear-filled eyes, "We made them!".

We made them. There are times when the magnitude of that hits me so hard. It is so obvious, yet something that I easily forget. Adam and I were just two people and we MADE a family of four. Such a simple thought, yet so difficult to wrap my head around it, around the weight that it carries.

Adam and I were on man-to-man defense and his man for the night was Eli, and I squeezed Ethan extra tightly as I scooped him up and carried him up to bed. I buried my nose in the curve of his neck as I gently walked up the stairs, trying not to wake him. When I laid him on his bed, he said he was "too tired" to get his jammies on himself and asked if I could please do it for him. I remember so well being a kid and falling asleep in the car on the way home from somewhere with my parents and being soooo sleepy when we got home and asking my mom to do the same thing. And what comfort it brought to have her do that for me, so I was so happy to be able to dress my little boy for bed while his eyes stayed closed. We skipped brushing teeth and washing up, and I kissed his sticky face and smelled his sweaty head and spent the rest of the night feeling dreamy and content.

No comments: